The University of Cambridge has activities in every dimension of education, research and engagement in support of creating a more sustainable world. The Department of Land Economy is home to academic research which focuses on the interactions between the economy, energy use and the environment.
Sustainability and the environment are not just academic issues to us; we are also committed as a department to minimising our environmental footprint believing everyone has a part to play in reducing resource and energy use.
Cycling is actively encouraged with covered bike sheds provided and plans for a shower to be installed underway.
We also ask our staff and students to think before you print, encourage recycling where possible, and turn off unused gadgetry, lights and heaters.
Information for staff on students on how to minimise your energy and resource use can be found on the Intranet pages
More about environmentally important research the DLE is involved in can be found by following these links:
- Cambridge Centre for Climate Change Research
- Economics of environmental regulation and policy: Andreas Kontoleon's Staff Page
The Department is also one of the founder members of the Cambridge Conservation Initiative (CCI).
Department of Land Economy Environmental Action Plan
The Department of Land Economy will strive to comply fully with environmental legislation and officially approved codes of practice, and will make continued efforts to reduce its environmental impact through the implementation of an Environmental Plan which sets out a range of objectives and targets related to its significant environmental impacts, including:
- to increase awareness of environmental responsibilities amongst staff and students;
- to implement policies and procedures that contribute to a reduction in the Department’s carbon footprint;
- to minimise waste and pollution, and to operate effective waste management procedures;
- to reduce the consumption of fossil fuels;
- to reduce water consumption;
- to promote a purchasing policy which will give preference, as far as practicable, to those products and services which cause the least harm to the environment;
- to avoid use, wherever possible, of environmentally damaging substances, materials, and processes;
- to have regard to environmental factors in the local environment;
- to encourage modes of transport by staff and students which minimise the environmental impact;
- to communicate with interested parties on issues relating to the Environmental Policy
Some of the things Land Economy has done this academic year include:
- replacing toilet lighting so they turn on and off automatically
- clearly labelling bins for recycling
- taking part in Macmillian coffee morning
- keeping a notice board for the 'Green Challenge'
- informing staff and students of events and opportunities to save energy and protect the environment
- introducing native plants to the small Land Economy garden
Further information about what the University is doing can be found here: http://www.environment.admin.cam.ac.uk/