Associate of the Department of Land Economy
Senior Economist, BTG Pactual S.A.
Professor Doutor, Department of Economics, University of Sao Paulo
Associate, Department of Land Economy, University of Cambridge
Senior Research Associate, Centre for Rising Powers, University of Cambridge
Fellow of the Regional Studies Association
Co-Editor of Spatial Economic Analysis
Spatial economics, environmental economics, development economics
- Urban evolution in Sao Paulo: employment growth and industrial location, with R. Abramovay e S. Castelani, Regional Science Policy and Practice, Vol. 4, 2012.
- Economic Performance and Social Progress: Discussing The Commission 'Stiglitz-Sen-Fitoussi' (in Portuguese), Política Externa, vol.18(2), 2009.
- Silver, Cloth, Cocoa and Clove: "Money from the Land" in the Portuguese Amazon (in Spanish), with A. Silva Lima, A. and R. Chambouleyron, Fronteras de la historia, Vol. 14(2), 2009.
- Does Political Stability Matter? The Economic Impact of Political Unrest in Ecuador, with G. Long, International Papers in Political Economy, Special Issue: Political Economy of Latin America, edited by Philip Arestis and Malcolm Sawyer, 2007.
- Use of Economic Instruments for Protecting Remnant Vegetation in the State of Goiás: a Preliminary Assessment (in Portuguese), with D. Silva-Jr, and F. Lobo. Boletim Goiano de Geografia, 2007.
- Property Rights for Biodiversity Conservation and Development: Extractive Reserves in the Brazilian Amazon, with T. Goeschl, Development and Change, 2006.
- Cluster Dynamics: New Evidence and Projections for Computing Services in Great Britain, with B. Fingleton and B. Moore, Journal of Regional Science, 2005.
- Reconciling Conservation and Development: A Dynamic Hotelling Model of Extractive Reserves, with T. Goeschl, Land Economics, 2004.
- Employment Growth of Small High-technology Firms and the Role of Horizontal Clusters: Evidence from Computing Services and R&D in Great Britain 1991-2000, with B. Fingleton and B. Moore, Urban Studies, 2004.
- Spatial Economics of Conservation and Development: Topics on Land Use Change in the Brazilian Amazon, VDM-Verlag, 2009.
- Industrial Clusters Economics and Development, FAPESP/Iglu, 2001 (in Portuguese)
- Metropolitan Dynamics in the State of Sao Paulo: Agglomeration Economies, Congestion and Urban Segregation (in Portuguese), with R. Abramovay, in Netto, D., Guilhoto, J., Duarte, P and Silber, S. (eds.) Brazil in the XXI Century: Challenges Ahead, Sao Paulo, Saraiva, 2011.
- Employment Growth in ICT Clusters: New Evidence from Great Britain, with B. Fingleton and B. Moore, in Karlsson, C. (Ed.) Handbook of Research on Clusters: Theories, Policies and Case Studies, Edward Elgar, 2008.
- Employment Growth and Cluster Dynamics in Creative Industries in Great Britain, with B. Fingleton, B. Moore, and R. Odedra, in Polenske, K. (Ed.) The Economic Geography of Innovation, Cambridge University Press, 2007.
- Employment growth of Small Computing Services Firms and the Role of Horizontal Clusters: Evidence from Great Britain 1991-2000, with B. Fingleton and B. Moore, in Fingleton, B. (Ed). Regional European Growth, Advances in Spatial Science, Springer Verlag, 2003.
Working Papers Series
- Urban Evolution in São Paulo: Density, Industrial Structure and Local Development, with R. Abramovay and S. Castelani, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy,2011 ( WP11DI1).
- Urban Evolution and Spread in Sao Paulo's Metropolitan Area, with V. Nadalin, IPEA discussion paper 1481. 2010.
- Deforestation, Growth and Agglomeration Effects: Evidence from Agriculture in the Brazilian Amazon, Environmental Economy and Policy Discussion Paper series, 29. 2008.
- Determinants of Technical Efficiency in Agriculture and Cattle Ranching: A Spatial Analysis for the Brazilian Amazon, Environmental Economy and Policy Discussion Paper series, 09. 2005.
- Property Rights Conservation and Development: An Analysis of Extractive Reserves in the Brazilian Amazon, T. Goeschl, FEEM Working Paper No 60.04.