Professor of Environmental Economics and Public Policy
Director of Studies for Land Economy, Trinity College, Cambridge
Subject groups/Research projects
- The economics of environmental regulation and policy.
- Micro-econometrics, experimental and behavioural economics.
- The economics of biodiversity conservation and management
- Development economics, health economics, analysis of social networks.
- Philosophical and methodological issues in economics.
Fundamentals of environmental economics (EP02; Michaelmas Term)
Environmental Policy Assessment and Evaluation (EP04. Lent Term)
Environmental economics, law and policy (Paper 5; Michaelmas Term)
Note: course links are only accessible within the University intranet.
- (2016) From Personalized Exchange Towards Anonymous Trade: A Field Experiment on the Workings of the Invisible Hand (with Bulte, E., J. A. List, T Turley, and M. Voors), Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Volume 133, Pages 313–330 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2016.10.014)
- (2016) Chief for a Day: Elite Capture and Management Performance in a Field Experiment in Sierra Leone (with M. Voors, T Turley, E. Bulte and J. A. List), Management Science, forthcoming (https://doi.org/10.17863/CAM.234)
- (2016) From Ignorance to Evidence? The Use of Programme Evaluation in Conservation:Evidence from a Delphi Survey of Conservation Experts (with Hannah Curzon), Journal of Environmental Management, 180 466-475 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.05.062)
- (2016) Valuing Forest Ecosystem Services and Disservices- Case Study of a Protected Area in India, (with Karachepone Ninan), Ecosystem Services, 20, pp. 1-14. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoser.2016.05.001)
- (2015) Influence of S. mansoni and hookworm infection intensities on anaemia in Ugandan villages. (with Chami G. F., Fenwick A., Bulte E., Kabatereine N., Tukahebwa E., Dunne D.W.) PLOS NTDS, 9(10): e0004193. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pntd.0004193
- (2015) Profiling non-recipients of mass drug administration for schistosomiasis and hookworm infections: a comprehensive analysis of praziquantel and albendazole coverage in community-directed treatment in Uganda (with G, , , , and
- (2014) Is it a Norm to Favour Your Own Group? (with Donna Harris, Benedikt Herrmann, and Jonathan Newton), Experimental Economics, DOI:10.1007/s10683-014-9417-9.
- (2014) Social network analysis predicts health behaviors and self-reported health in African villages (with Goylette F. Chami, Sebastian E. Ahnert, Maarten J. Voors), PLOS ONE, Volume 9, Issue 7, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0103500
- (2014) Consumer Preferences for Functional GM Foods in the UK: A Choice Experiment (with James Ison), Journal of Agrobiotechnology Management and Economics, AgBioForum, Volume 17, Number 1, Article 4.
- (2014) Economic Analysis for the UK National Ecosystem Assessment: Synthesis and Scenario Valuation of Changes in Ecosystem Services (with Ian Bateman et al.), Environmental and Resource Economics, Volume 57, Issue 2, pp 273-297
- (2014) The value of urban green space in Britain: a methodological framework for spatially referenced benefit transfer (with Perino, G., Andrews, B., and Bateman, I.J), Environmental and Resource Economics, Volume 57, Issue 2, pp 251-272.
- (2013) Ecosystem Services: Nature's Balance Sheet Response, (with Ian Bateman et al) Science. Vol. 342. no. 6157, pp. 421 - 422
- (2013) Bringing Ecosystem Services into Economic Decision-Making: Land Use in the United Kingdom, (with Bateman et al), Science, 5 July, Vol. 341 no. 6141 pp. 45-50.
- (2013) Assessing Participation In Voluntary Environmental Programs In The Developing World: The role of FDI and export orientation on ISO14001 adoption in Thailand (with K. Tambunlertchai and M. Khanna), Applied Economics, Volume 45, Issue 15, pp. 2039-2048
- (2013) Exploring Network Theory for Mass Drug Administration (with Goylette F. Chami, David H. Molyneux, and David W. Dunne), Trends in Parasitology, Volume 29, Issue 8, 370-379
- (2012) Participation in Payments for Ecosystem Services programmes: accounting for participant heterogeneity (with Katrina Mullan), Journal of Environmental Economics and Policy, Volume 1, Issue 3, November, pages 235-254
- (2012) Stated Preferences for Tropical Wildlife Conservation Amongst Distant Beneficiaries: Charisma, Endemism, Scope and Substitution Effects (with Sian Morse-Jones, Ian Bateman, Silvia Ferrini, Neil D Burgess, and R. Kerry Turner), Ecological Economics, Volume 78, Pages 9-18
- (2012) Review of the evidence base for ecosystem-based approaches for adaptation to climate change (with Munroe, R et al.) Environmental Evidence 2012, 1:13 doi:10.1186/2047-2382-1-13
- (2012) Behavior in Context-Free Experiments is not Predictive of Behavior in the Field: Evidence from Public Good Experiments in Rural Sierra Leone (with M. Voors, T Turley, E. Bulte and J. A. List), Economic Letters, Volume 114, Issue 3, Pages 308-311
- (2011) Using Artefactual Field Experiments to Learn about the Incentives for Sustainable Forest Use in Developing Economies (with M. Voors, T Turley, E. Bulte and J. A. List), American Economic Review,P&P, vol, 101:3, pp.
- (2010) ‘Land Tenure Arrangements and Rural–Urban Migration in China’, (with Mullan, K. And Pauline Grosjean) World Development, doi:10.1016/j.worlddev.2010.08.009
- (2010) ‘When should households be compensated for land-use restrictions? A decision-making framework for Chinese forest policy’. (with Mullan, K., Swanson, T. Zhang, S.) Land Use Policy, doi:10.1016/j.landusepol.2010.08.003
- (2010) ‘Relaxing Rural Constraints: A win-win policy for environment and poverty in China?’ (with Ben Groom, Pauline Grosjean, Timothy Swanson and Shiqiu Zhang). Oxford Economic Papers, Volume 62, Issue1, pp. 132-156
- (2010) ‘An evaluation of the impact of the Natural Forest Protection Programme on Rural Household Livelihoods’ (with Katrina Mullan, Tim Swanson and Shiqiu Zhang). Environmental Management, Volume 45, Number 3, 513-525.
- (2009) ‘How sustainability are sustainable development programmes?’ (with Pauline Grosjean) World Development, Volume 37, Issue 1, pp. 268-285.
- (2009) ‘Assessing the Determinants of Local Acceptability of Wind Farm Investment: A Choice Experiment in the Greek Aegean Islands’ (with Alexandros Dimitropoulos), Energy Policy, 37, (5), pp. 1842-1854
- (2008) 'Nuisance' (with Timothy Swanson) article entry in Encyclopaedia of Law and Economics, Vol 2, pp. 380-402.
- (2007) ‘Valuing Complex Goods: Or, can you get anything out of experts other than a decision?’ (with Ben Groom and Tim Swanson, Research in Law and Economics, volume 23, pp. 301-336.
- (2006) ‘Market Segmentation Analysis of Preferences for GM Derived Animal Foods in the UK, (with Mitsuyasu Yabe) Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization: Vol. 4 : Iss. 1, Article 8, 38 pages.
- (2004) ‘Assessing the Impacts of Alternative ‘Opt-out’ Formats in Choice Experiment Studies’ (with M. Yabe), Journal of Agricultural Policy Research, vol. 5, pp. 1-32.
- (2003) ‘The WTP for Property Rights for the Giant Panda: Can a Charismatic Species be an Instrument for Nature Conservation?’ (with T.M. Swanson), Land Economics, , 79 (4): 483–499.
- (2002) ‘Individual Preference Based Values and Environmental Decision Making: Should Valuation have its day in Court?’, Research in Law and Economics, Volume 20, pp. 179–216.
- (2000) 'Why did the Protected Areas Fail the Giant Panda? The Economics of conserving endangered species in developing countries' (with Timothy Swanson), World Economics, 1(4), pp.135-148.
- (2009) Agrobiodiversity, Conservation and Economic Development (with Unai Pascual and Melinda Smale), Routledge
- (2007) Biodiversity Economics: Principles, Methods and Applications (with Unai Pascual and Tim Swanson), Cambridge University Press
- (2004) Handbook of Market Creation for Biodiversity: Issues in Implementation (with T.M. Swanson and P. Bagnioli), OECD Environment & Sustainable Development
- (2001) The Economics of Panda Reserve Management: A Case Study of Wolong Reserve, Sichuan, China. (with Timothy Swanson, Wang Qiwen, Qiao Xuejun and Catherine Yang), Environmental Economics Working Group, China Council for International Cooperation on the Environment and Development, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Articles in Books, Collective Volumes and Series
- (2014) The UK National Ecosystem Assessment: Valuing Changes in Ecosystem Services (with Bateman et al), in Nature in the Balance - The Economics of Biodiversity, D. Helm and C. Hepburn (Eds), Oxford University Press.
- (2014) Stated preferences for tropical wildlife conservation (with Sian Morse-Jones, Ian Bateman, Silvia Ferrini, Neil D Burgess, and R. Kerry Turner) Valuing Ecosystem Services-Methodological Issues and Case Studies, Edward Elgar.
- (2012) Does Conserving Biodiversity Work to Reduce Poverty? A State of Knowledge Review, (with Craig Leisher, M. Sanjayan, Jill Blockhus, and S. Neil Larsen).
- (2012) Dependence of the poor on biodiversity: which poor, what biodiversity? - A State of Knowledge Review (with Bhaskar Vira), forthcoming in Biodiversity Conservation and Poverty Reduction: Exploring the Evidence for a Link Dilys Roe et al (Eds.), Blackwell.
- (2010) Assessing the Sustainability of the Sloping Land Conversion Program: a Choice Experiment Approach, in Ekin Birol and Jeff Bennett (Eds) Choice Experiments in Developing Countries: Implementation, Challenges and Policy Implications, Edward Elgar.
- (2010) The conomics nuisance disputes, (with T. Swanson), Bouckaert, Boudewijn (eds) Property Law and Economics, Edward Elgar.
- (2009) Property Rights and Land Degradation in China (with Jeff Bennett),Asia Pacific Economic Papers, Vol. 13 No. 4 May 2009.
- (2009) An Evaluation of the Impact of the Natural Forest Protection Programme on Rural Household Livelihoods (with Katrina Mullan, Tim Swanson, and Shiqiu Zhang) in Runsheng Yin (Ed) An Integrated Assessment of China’s Ecological Restoration Programs, Springer, pp. 175-199
- (2009) International Experiences in Ecosystem Management: Lessons for China, in Tun Lin and Tim Swanson (eds) Economic Growth and Environmental Regulation: The People's Republic of China's Path to a Brighter Future, Routledge
- (2009) Introduction to Agrobiodiversity and Economic Development (with Unai Pascual and Melinda) in Andreas Kontoleon, Unai Pascual and Melinda Smale (eds) Agrobiodiversity, Conservation and Economic Development Routledge
- (2007) Latent Market Segmentation Analysis of Choice Experiment Data and Implications for the EU’s GM labelling policy (with Mitsuyasu Yabe), in Ekin Birol and Pheobe Koundouri-Pittis (Eds.) Choice Experiments Informing European Environmental Policy, Edward Elgar, 2007.
- (2007) Using a choice experiment to investigate the role of small family farms in Hungary’s agri-environmental schemes (with Ekin Birol and Melinda Smale in Ekin Birol and Pheobe Koundouri-Pittis (Eds.) Choice Experiments Informing European Environmental Policy, Edward Elgar, 2007.
- (2007) Assessing the Private Value of Agro-biodiversity in Hungarian Home Gardens by Using the Data Enrichment Method (with Ekin Birol and Melinda Smale) in Kontoleon, A. U. Pascual and T. Swanson (Eds.) Biodiversity Economics, Cambridge University Press, 2007
- (2005) Farmer Demand for Agricultural Biodiversity in Hungary’s Transition Economy (with Ekin Birol and Melinda Smale) in Smale, M. (ed) Valuing Crop Genetic Biodiversity on Farms during Economic Change, CAB International, Wallingford, UK
- (2005) ‘Environmental Resource Information and the Validity of Non-Use Values: The Case of Remote Mountain Lakes’ in Econometrics Informing Natural Resource Management, P. Koundouris (Ed), Edward Elgar
- (2005) ‘Conflicts in Conservation: Aggregating Total Economic’, in Econometrics Informing Natural Resource Management, P. Koundouris (Ed), Edward Elgar
- (2004) “What future for Environmental Liability? The Use of Liability Systems for Environmental Regulation in the Courtrooms of the United States and the European Union”, (with T. Swanson) in Norman Vig and Michael Faure (Eds.) Green Giants? Environmental Policy of the United States and the European Union, Boston: MIT Press, 2004
- (2002) 'Motivating Existence Value' (with T.M. Swanson) inDaniel Bromley and Jouni Paavola (Eds.) Economics, Ethics, and Environmental Policy: Contested Choices, Blackwell Publishers, 2002.
- (2002) 'Optimal Panda Ecotourism: A Contingent Valuation Study of Ecotourism Development in The Wolong Panda Reserve in Sichuan, China', (with T.M. Swanson and Q. Wang) in David W. Pearce, Corin G. Pearce and Charles E. Palmer (Eds.) Valuing the Environment in Developing Countries: Case Studies, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, 2002.
- (2002) 'Conflicts in Conservation: The Many Values of The Black Rhinoceros' (with T.M. Swanson, S. Mourato and J. Swierzbinski) in David W. Pearce, Corin G. Pearce and Charles Palmer (eds.) Valuing Environmental Benefits. Volume I: Case Studies from the Developing World, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, 2002.
- (2001) 'Preserving Cultural Heritage in Transition Economies: A Contingent Valuation Study of Bulgarian Monasteries' (with Susana Mourato and Alexi Danchev) in Stale Navrud and Richard Ready (Eds.) Valuing Cultural Heritage: Applying Environmental Valuation Techniques to Historic Buildings, Monuments and Artefacts. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
Published Policy Research Reports:
- (2011) Urban (with Linda Davies et al), In: The UK National Ecosystem Assessment Technical Report.UK National Ecosystem Assessment, UNEP-WCMC,Cambridge. http://uknea.unep-wcmc.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=u60Ugtegc28%3d&tabid=82
- (2011) Economic Values from Ecosystems (with G. Perino, B. Andrews., and I.J. Bateman), In: TheUK National Ecosystem Assessment Technical Report.UK National Ecosystem Assessment, UNEP-WCMC,Cambridge.http://uknea.unep-wcmc.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=zeBWV7obaV0%3d&tabid=82
- (2011) Urban greenspace amenity (with G. Perino, B. Andrews., and I.J. Bateman), In: The UK National Ecosystem Assessment Technical Report.UK National Ecosystem Assessment, UNEP-WCMC,Cambridge. http://uknea.unep-wcmc.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=80gPu556Qhw%3d&tabid=82
- (2010) Linking Biodiversity Conservation and Poverty Alleviation, Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), Technical Series No: 55, 91 pages. Available at: http://www.cbd.int/doc/publications/cbd-ts-55-en.pdf
- (2010) Dependence of the poor on biodiversity: which poor, what biodiversity?, (with Bhaskar Vira), Report International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED). Available at: http://povertyandconservation.info/en/biblio/B1740.php
- (2010) Does Conserving Biodiversity Work to Reduce Poverty? (with Craig Leisher, M. Sanjayan, Jill Blockhus and S. Neil Larsen) Report International Institute for Environment and Development (IIED). Available at: http://povertyandconservation.info/en/biblio/B1741.php
- (2008) “TEBB Interim Report’ on The Economics of Ecosystems & Biodiversity” (with Pavan Sukhdev et al), European Commission, 68 pages. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/biodiversity/economics/pdf/teeb_report.pdf
- (2008) Policy Recommendations from China’s Macro-Review: Report by an International Review Panel, Monograph Report Published for the Asian Development Bank, 20 pages
- (2008) International Experiences with Ecosystem Management: Lessons for China, Monograph Report Published for the Asian Development Bank, 146 pages
- (2008) Benefits and Costs of Forest Biodiversity: Economic Theory and Case Study Evidence (with Katrina Mullan), Monograph Report Published for the European Commission as part of the Potsdam Initiative and TEEB, 167 pages, Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/biodiversity/economics/pdf/scoping.pdf
- (2006) Assessing the Impacts of the Natural Forest Protection Programme on Local Community Welfare, Report Published by China Council for International Cooperation on the Environment and Development; 84 pages.
- (2006) Assessing the Impacts of the Sloping Land Conversion Programme on Local Community Welfare, Report Published by China Council for International Cooperation on the Environment and Development; 115 pages.
- (2006) Integrated Assessment of the Impact Agricultural Trade Policies on Biodiversity (with U. Pascual). Report published for the UNEP-WCMC, 58 pages.