The Real Estate Masters Programme is a Master of Studies (MSt) course offered by The Department of Land Economy drawing on the multi-disciplinary strength of the Department and the University. It is aimed at experienced professionals and those identified as future leaders in the real estate industry and combines academic rigour with significant industry input. The course aims to equip participants with a broader knowledge of all aspects of the real estate industry, insight into a range of long-term themes and strategic issues in the market as well as developing a range of research and other skills.
This is a two-year part-time masters course designed for those with several years of professional experience in real estate or associated business, have attained a leadership role, are identified as a potential leader or are seeking to take up a leadership role. The format permits students to continue with their professional career whilst studying. The course will enhance students’ technical skills and develop a range of other skills to enable them to be agents of change in the real estate industry and beyond.
The aims of the course include:
- Enabling students to build their knowledge across a range of disciplines around real estate including finance, investment, economics, environmental policy, planning and law.
- Enabling students to build on previous study and work experience across real estate and related disciplines.
- Equipping students to take leadership positions in the industry and develop their understanding of key skills in management, innovation, strategy, negotiation, partnering and risk management.
- Providing opportunities to learn from colleagues from different cultures, work backgrounds and with experience from different countries with different social, economic and legal systems.
- Providing students with the skills to manage information and resources effectively and to be able to manage their own research.
- Building a passion for research and strategic thinking.
The programme aims to ensure that students have a solid understanding of the end to end processes in real estate investment and finance whilst promoting innovation in real estate through highlighting some of the trends influencing the industry and the opportunities that this will bring. The course breadth is reflected in the topics it addresses from looking at the high level drivers of capital flows in real estate and changes in the urban environment through to asset management of individual buildings and optimising their performance.