Centre for Law & Economics for Environment and Development
A Green Development Mechanism: Towards an international, market-based instrument to finance biodiversity conservation
Outputs and discussion from Experts Meeting
Katrina Mullan and Timothy Swanson "An international market-based instrument to finance biodiversity conservation: towards a green development mechanism", Final Report from Experts Meeting.
Comments from Participants at an Expert's Meeting
Experts Meeting - Logistics and Information
The Dutch Ministry of Housing, Spatial Planning and the Environment, in collaboration with IFC, IUCN and UNEP and in close co-operation with the CBD Secretariat are welcoming and informing you on the International Expert Meeting titled:
A Green Development Mechanism - Towards an International Market-based Instrument to Finance Biodiversity Conservation.
At this website you will be provided with information regarding the program of this two day conference, the conference documents, background publications and information concerning the venue and an overview of the registered participants.
We are looking forward to welcome you at the Welcome Reception, NH Tropen Hotel Amsterdam on Sunday the 8th of February at 7.00pm.
- Meeting Agenda
- Information on the Meeting Venue
- Venue Location and Travel Information
- Overview of current participants
For more information about the meeting or practical matters, please contact the Conference Secretariat, Ms. Ria van der Ham, at email@example.com or Ms. Judith van Dongen, at firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions on the content and technical preparation for the meeting, contributions you would like to suggest to the steering committee, or other recommendations and suggestions based on the problem statement you have received or documents posted on this website, please contact Mr. Stefan van der Esch, at email@example.com
Primary Documents for the Expert Meeting - Proposal and Background Paper
Katrina Mullan and Tim Swanson "An International Market-Based Instrument to Finance Biodiversity Conservation: Towards a Green Development Mechanism."
Katrina Mullan, Andreas Kontoleon and Tim Swanson "Towards an International Market-Based Instrument to Finance Biodiversity Conservation: A Green Development Mechanism" (Technical Background Paper).
- Martijn Blom, Geert Bergsma, Marisa Korteland (2008) "Economic instruments for biodiversity Setting up a Biodiversity Trading System in Europe."
- Matthias v. Bechtolsheim "Sustainable Financing of Nature Conservation: The commitment of the German financial cooperation."
- Pearce, D W (2004) "Environmental market creation: saviour or oversell?" Portuguese Economic Journal 3(2): 115-44.
- Pearce, D W (2008) "Do We Really Care About Biodiversity?" Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, 40(4): 611-611, August.
- Pagiola et al (2002) "Making Market Based Mechanisms work for Forests and People" in Pagiola, S, Bishop, J and Landell-Mills, N (eds.) Selling Forest Environmental Services: Market-based Mechanisms for Conservation and Development. London: Earthscan.
- Heal, G (2000) "Biodiversity in the marketplace". World Economics, 1(4): 149-77.
- Heal, G (1999) "Markets and sustainability". The Science of the Total Environment 240(1999): 75-89.
- Swanson, Kontoleon and Bagnioli (2004) Handbook of Market Creation for Biodiversity: Issues in Implementation. OECD Environment & Sustainable Development, OECD, Paris, France.
- IUCN'S Biodiversity Economics publication archive.