skip to content

Department of Land Economy

Environment, Law & Economics




Questions about the MSt in Real Estate

This page provides answers to questions specifically about the MSt in Real Estate.  For more general questions see the links below.

For questions about the admissions process, from considering applying to when your application will be decided or language requirements, please contact the Institute of Continuing Education (aka ICE) MSt admissions team.

If you have questions about immigration or visa issues please contact the International Student Team.

Who awards the MSt?

The Masters in Real Estate is conferred by the University of Cambridge as the awarding body and students graduate from the University of Cambridge.  Graduation is organised by the student's College. Students who successfully pass the course and graduate from the University are entitled to use the letters, ‘MSt ( Cantab )’ after their name.

Will I matriculate from The University of Cambridge?

Most certainly.  All students are required to matriculate in order to become a member of the University, which involves signing a formal declaration agreeing to abide by the Statutes and Ordinances of the University and College. Only by signing these documents does the student become recognised as a full member of the University and College.

The Colleges administer the formal processes, including matriculation (formally joining the University and College) and all  students then attend a formal dinner, ‘the Matriculation Dinner’ to celebrate the more formal admittance to the University and College.

Is possible to live outside of the UK but fly into Cambridge for the residential sessions?

Absolutely, the course is designed for those working and living away from the University.  The programme is modular and delivered through a combination of distance learning, a VLE and residential sessions.  There are 7 residential weeks in 5 blocks (2 residentials of 2 weeks duration plus 1 of 1 week in year 1 and 2 residentials of 1 week in year 2).  We arrange college accommodation for the duration of the residentials, which are focussed more on taught sessions, collaborative work, project work, site visits and supervisions.  Self study, theoretical work and assignments can be done between the residential periods. 

I am not sure what references to provide? I have been in full-time employment and have not studied recently. Will the University accept two professional references?

You will need to provide the details of two referees who should be senior people acquainted with your work and who are able to comment on your academic and/or professional suitability to undertake the course. Ideally one reference should be academic and one professional. If this is not possible, two professional references may be accepted.

You will be asked to provide email addresses for your referees so that they can submit their reference via the online referencing system, so it is important for you to ensure that your referee is able to provide a reference for you before you submit your application form.

You should try to advise your referees to include the following information:

  • How long they have known you and in what capacity.
  • Their opinion of your experience, achievements, professional interests, and the capabilities which you will bring to the course.
  • Whether they believe you have the academic and analytic skills to successfully study at Masters level.
  • Whether they believe you will fit well on a Master’s level course concerned with Real Estate, requiring both group work and individual research.
  • Whether they consider you have the enthusiasm, commitment and determination necessary to complete the course successfully.

If your referees are unable to use the online referencing system, or do not have an email addresses, please contact the ICE Admissions office for further assistance.

When will I hear about my application?

Applications for the MSt in Real Estate are reviewed in batches throughout the applications cycle. Whilst applications are open until May each year, we may be able to offer places and possibly fill all the places before then – so early applications are encouraged and advised, especially if you require a language test score.

Is a full research proposal is required for the course application?

You are required to complete a ‘Research Proposal’ as part of your application.  However, there is no need for a detailed proposal at this stage. There is no word limit, but just a couple of paragraphs (no more than a side of A4) is sufficient.

We ideally would like to see an interesting research question with some idea of what literature already exists related to the question and how you would go about the research e.g. what data you would need and where you might get it from and what methods you would use.  However, at this stage, all we need is an indication of ideas (that could be shaped into a more detail research proposal during the first year of the course) to illustrate your interest in doing research for this degree and that if invited for interview you can briefly talk about these ideas thoughtfully.   The course is designed to ensure students gain the necessary research skills rather than expect them to arrive with them all in place.

For guidance on what to include in and how to complete the proposal go to the"How to Apply" section of the ICE MSt webpage.

After completing the MSt can I progress to studying for a PhD Degree?

The MSt in Real Estate is a valid route to studying for a PhD Degree.  Students wishing to apply for continuation to the PhD would normally be expected to attain a minimum overall mark of 67% and dissertation 70%.